Wednesday 6 August 2008

What's up Doc? - Appointment 2


Understandably, when I told my family and friends they thought this was a variation of the legendary Man Flu, how on earth could I have arthritis? me need a hip replacement, yeah right. It was clear that they thought I was exaggerating (it has been known). I mentioned it to my boss that I might need some time off within 5 years so I could have a hip replacement, this was a bloody great joke because I work for a stairlift company!!! - my choice of employment sector was really useful later on!

So the follow up appointment came, this time my good lady (Lynda) came too, I think as much as anything else she wanted to disbelieve my apparently far fetched claim. Again, this more senior consultant put me through a range of movement check and then invited us into his consultation room.

On the computer screen was my X-ray, showing my whole pelvic region (be prepared and only invite close people into this appointment with you, unless your happy being an exhibitionist, even more relevant if you are male - everything is outlined and its explicit!).

The consultant pointed to my right hip, yes my right hip and showed us the problem. At this point I was confused, my painful hip was my left hip, so I said "this is my good hip"
his reply was along the lines of "the problem is that the top of your femur isn't angled enough and is shaped incorrectly, this is causing the cap of the femur to be pushed out of alignment and putting additional stress on the opposing side of the socket, causing wear and arthritic cysts"
I again said " this is my good hip"
He clarified, this wasn't in fact my good hip as both hips had problems!
Lynda at this point calmly suggested I should be quiet and listen more carefully, as only a loved one can suggest.

I listened, he informed me that the problem may have been there since very early years, and could be caused by too much strenuous sport before my bones had fully formed, or maybe not, as it was unclear.

I was now beginning to understand that my hips were "special" could this be the reason I had never had the slightest rhythm? or awful co-ordination? probably not, but its amazing what goes through your head when you learn somethings not quite right!

No comments: