Friday 8 August 2008

Day 1 Post Op - again

This then was my real first day post operation. The physiotherapists are keen to get patients moving as quickly as possible for various reasons, and muscle tone deteriorates quite quickly.

Today the physio visited me and helped me to my feet. Zimmer frames I have always associated with people who are far less ambulant than myself, but here I was using one to move around my bed area and the ward. This gave me even more client empathy - as I have previously said I am a stairlift and domestic mobility lift surveyor in my professional life!!!

I soon progressed onto crutches and was determined to demonstrate to the staff that I was safe, confident and more than ready to go home. The physio's were happy with my efforts and gave me other flexion exercises to carry out, but I had to stay in for another night and because I live in a house with stairs (and kids, dogs and all other family paraphernalia) I would have to manage a flight of stairs tomorrow morning.

The bit was firmly between my teeth to pass this test...which I thankfully did without any problem.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there, i came across your blog whilst trying to get info on this as i am too a 38 year old who looks like an old woman walking down the road, bent up and in pain!! i am waiting to hear from the doctors as i am typing this,with the results of my xray to see if i need to see the orth surgeon,so to know that this is done in our age group is somewhat reassuring and the thought of maybe this time next year being out of pain is something to look forward to, take care and may i wish you all the best for a really speedy recovery.Sally.

Anonymous said...

Hi, did you get a reply from your doc? dont be put off by the thought of the op as it really isnt that big a deal and the results are great.

Good luck and let me know of your progress, and have a look at surfacehippy

Anonymous said...

hi James, yes i got the result, i have ostio arthritis and very severe, the dr told me ihave the hip of an average 80year old, maybe i can draw a pension and get a free bus pass now !!!
i have the orth surgeon appointment next Thrs (6th Nov) to see what the next stage will be.
tanke care James and all the best. Sally.

Marie McKinsey said...

Thanks for posting your story, James. I had the Birmingham procedure done in November of 2008 and am so glad I did! I just turned 60 and fortunately don't have osteoporosis, so I was still a good candidate for this surgery.

I hope you are doing well now. (The missed pin was pretty freaky!)

Regards,
Marie
http://www.mylefthip.com