Friday 8 August 2008

Alignment Pin Removal Surgery

The weekend passed and early Monday morning I was prepped for theatre.

This time unlike the actual resurfacing operation I had no option for anything other than a general anaesthetic. I don't like generals! but hey, all I wanted at this point was to have the pin which was causing me pain and physically restricting my movement to be removed (see photo) and to get up on my feet so I could catch up with the other patients who had surgery and were now mobile unlike myself, and I had a typically 25 year age advantage...just to rub salt into my metaphorical wound my neighbour in the ward, an 82 year old very independent man had recovered so much that he had been discharged on the Saturday which was less than 72 hours post operation.

I had serious concerns about infection, my original wound was still very fresh and it would mean further exposure to atmosphere, had the procedure been carried out correctly in the first instance this would not have been necessary and infection less of a worry. I felt aggrieved but maintained my outwardly positive attitude so I could move past my now delayed personal RESET POINT as previously mentioned.

The operation lasted less than an hour. I understand that the procedure involved cutting through the skin and muscle to expose the pin that was firmly set in my femur, extracting it then closing the wound. I came round in the recovery room and was to say the least very sore!

The consultants registrar had explained prior to the surgery that this would require a further incision, sure enough I have a smaller scar healing on my leg next to the main one, unlike the main incision which was stapled this one simply had sutures holding it together.

The nurse in the recovery ward administered morphine and tramadol for pain relief but this didn't ease the soreness. I was returned to the ward to recover.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aditi Corporation offer surgeons with a comprehensive suite of orthopedic implant products and instruments to aid in safe and effective arthroplasty; thus proving to be a leader in facilitating successful total knee and total hip replacement in Bangalore.
Total Knee Replacement in Bangalore | Total Hip Replacement in Bangalore