Thursday 7 August 2008

Day 1 Post Op - Confirmation of Alignment Pin

I was visited by the consultant who didn't waste any time in confirming to me that there was a problem.

When the operation is carried out the consultant fixes an alignment pin in the thighbone which is used during the operation and removed prior to closing the site. In my case somehow it was overlooked and the alignment pin (also known as a guide wire) remained in my femur and quadriceps muscle (see photo).

Unfortunately for me this was discovered on a Friday afternoon, a further operation was scheduled for me to have the pin removed first thing Monday morning.

It soon became apparent to me that I could feel a specific pain in the approximate position of the pin, and I was told that I would be unable to carry out and physio over the weekend, this really was my lowest point as I had hoped to be discharged on Sunday, but now had an extended stay and an additional operation to face.

1 comment:

Patricia Walter said...

Hi

You have a very unusual story. I am sorry to hear about the second surgery. I hope your recovery is going well for you now.

I have a large website about hip resurfacing www.surfacehippy.info

I was wondering if you would give me permission to post your story since it is different than most?

My email is pwalter@surfacehippy.info

Please let me know.

Meanwhile, I wish you a speedy and quick recovery.

Pat