Wednesday 6 August 2008

Operation Day!!!

It's the 17th July 2008 - Operation Day...

I have adopted a positive view of having the operation since day one. The way I view it is that this is a RESET POINT in my life, so that I can regain the normality I had prior to the arthritis limiting my abilities. This is simply one day out of my life which might cause me pain for a few hours, I don't think that's enough of a reason to get anxious or stressed.

My instruction was to report to the hospital ward for 7am, as per usual I was early and prepared. The Staff Nurse showed me to my bed, I was on a clean small ward made up of only 6 patients. I was one of three new intakes (all hips: one traditional, one revision, and my BHR). My operation was scheduled for 4pm, but due to the consultant wanting to meet and greet his patients I had to be in early. Early on the consultant and his registrar visited and explained the procedure; they were going to make a traditional incision, from the rear. They marked my leg, asked If I had any questions, I signed the consent form, and I might then see them later. It was very welcoming.

I was unprepared when at 12pm the porters came to get me! there had been a change of plan, it was my turn. Quickly, I undressed and put on the slightly bizarre open backed gown that I would get used to.

When I arrived at theatre the anaesthetist greeted me and explained the options available to me; they were:
  • General anaesthetic
  • Spinal sedation from the waist down

I elected to have the latter and there was then a further question, did I, or did I not want to be conscious for the operation? It didn't take long for me to elect to stay conscious! I have always been curious and I figured that if I didn't like what was going on they could top up the anaesthetic and I would be no worse off.

The spinal injection didn't hurt a bit, and then I was wheeled into theatre. The team rolled me onto my side, and fitted pommels to secure my position. The sheets went up and I could see no more, and it happened really quickly.

At that point I think I dozed for a bit. I remember later talking to the anesthetist, and the consultant then started asking me some questions, he then explained the part of the procedure he was carrying out, for those interested he was coring the head of my femur to accept the new cap, he then "tapped" the new cap into place and fitted the acetabular component "cup". It wasn't unsettling or scary in the slightest.

Soon after they closed the wound using removable staples and I was wheeled through to the recovery room.

Because I had generally stayed awake I was offered water, I also was hooked up to a patient operated painkiller machine and oxygen. Feeling came back to my feet while I was in the recovery room and it was really exciting! I could wiggle my toes and the operation was over.

I was really keen to get back to the ward so I could ring Lynda and let her and my family know I was OK, this I did fairly soon afterwards.

The anaesthetist uses a nerve blocker there really isn't too much pain on the operation day, and because I had my own means of administering painkiller it really didn't seem to be obvious.

That night however is likely to be a long night, the nurses come round on hourly/ 2 hourly observation intervals, so if you get any sleep well done!

No comments: