Wednesday 6 August 2008

Reality Dawns!!!

The date was confirmed, 17th July 2008. I was instructed to attend the orthopaedic pre-assessment unit earlier in the week to ensure that I would be fit enough to have the operation.

This would be my first needle experience and oh boy was I not looking forward to it! I have to admit that my fears were allayed really quickly, the nurse was great, she took my blood pressure and while my veins were up, she took some blood and I didn't even realise...wow. At this point I felt relieved that I could face the operation minus my hangup over needles, which was just as well.

At the pre-op assessment I was given a dossier of paperwork to read and to give me an insight of what to expect. As I have previously said I am a surveyor for a stairlift company, yeah irony he he etc! but my job is great and I am always very aware of people far worse off than myself, people who have long term mobility issues and worse, but in the course of my job I spend much of my time carrying out joint visits to clients with Occupational Therapists, now O.T's provide a service to people who have problems to overcome the problem and lead an easier life, they will be involved with you in hospital and provide equipment for you when you are sent home.

Some of the O.T's I have the privilege to work with are axperienced in orthopaedics so they were able to give me an insight in to what I should expect.

The last thing I had to do was to ring the hospital at 3pm the day before the operation to ensure that there was a bed for me!

No comments: