Wednesday 6 August 2008

What are my options?

The consultant continued to explain various things to us.

Now I think I am man enough to tell you that I am a self confessed coward, i.e. I really don't like needles. I was preoccupied that I might need a steroid injection into my hip to manage the pain, and I had heard the urban rumours of a needle the size of a pool cue, no pain relief , etc.

This wasn't an option as the arthritis was too advanced for that.

The consultant informed me that there was a technique known as HIP RESURFACING this was the preferred surgery for young active males, it may be chosen because your life expectancy exceeds that of the hip replacement, and a revision is needed. Having this proceedure first preserves more of the thighbone so if a conventional proceedure is required later then it can be carried out without additional complications. I was given the following treatment options:
  • I could wait until the pain was insufferable
  • I could have a follow up appointment in 6 months
  • I could be put on the waiting list of approx 18 weeks from initial consultation

Now I suggest if you find yourself in this situation opt for the operation, I didn't immediately but as soon as we left the consultation it dawned on me that his opinion was for me to get the op out of the way sooner rather than later, as I was fitter, my muscle tone was better and there was less chance of having any additional pains across my lower back or placing further strain/stress on my not so poor hip.

It was only a matter of days before I made that call and got onto the waiting list.

No comments: