Thursday 7 August 2008

Day 1 Post Op - pt1

Day one of the rest of my life.

This is possibly the sorest I felt, the patient administered painkiller was removed yesterday and the only pain control required was paracetamol. My legs have been covered in delightful anti embolism tights since before the operation yesterday (these stay on for two weeks) and I have spent the first night's sleep on my back (this has to be maintained for six weeks). There were two distinctly different types of pain in my leg, a dull muscular pain - like a heavy dead leg and a sharp pain at the surface where the incision was carried out. I couldn't identify any specific pain at this time - more to follow.

I enjoyed my Weetabix and cup of tea for breakfast and was glad that my waterworks were functioning as normal, 'cos I really didn't want to be catheterised.

Day one post op the physios plan is for patients to get out of bed and do some very basic physiotherapy, i.e. transferring into their bedside chair, this I did, but gosh it was an effort, and if I'm honest quite painful.

The next thing that happened was that the porters came to take me down to X-ray, this is carried out to check the post operative alignment of the cup and cap. So off I went and when I arrived at X-ray was transferred to the table, this I found to be very painful, the X-ray was carried out. Immediately I realised that something wasn't quite right because the staff all huddled round the monitor in conversation. It transpired that there was something showing up on the X-ray that shouldn't have been there, I was taken back to the ward gathering as much information as I could along the way.

Once back on the ward a nurse removed my dressing to see if any item had been left under the dressing - it hadn't.

No comments: